Honey Cinnamon Scones
For the scones:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick of butter (cold)
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
For the glaze:
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1-3 tbsp milk
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, combine all of your dry ingredients then whisk together
- Take your stick of butter and cut into small pieces to make it easier to cut into the flour mixture
- Add butter to the dry mixture and cut into the flour using a pastry cutter or just using a fork works as well
- Set aside dry mixture and separate your egg (make sure to still keep the egg whites for later)
- Combine the egg yolk, buttermilk, vanilla extract and honey. To make it easier to get the honey out, spray a little non-stick spray on the measuring cup and it will slide right out!
- Mix all of that together then add in the dry mixture, stir until it looks crumbly
- Now, sprinkle your counter-top with flour so your scones don't stick. Scoop out half the mixture and form into a ball and flatten out to be 1 inch thick. Then do the same with the other half
- Take your egg whites you set aside earlier, and whisk together until frothy. Brush over each dough circle
- Mix your cinnamon and sugar together and evenly sprinkle over the dough. Cut each dough circle into eighths like a pizza!
- Now, lay each scone on the baking sheet about 1/2 inch apart (they don't really spread at all)
- Bake for 11 to 14 minutes, they will puff up and be nice and golden
- When the scones have cooled, begin to make the icing. Combine the powdered sugar, honey and milk. Make sure it's thin enough to drizzle but not too thin where it will run off the scones.
- Then just drizzle icing over scones and enjoy!